Ms. Fausneaucht's Classroom Investigations
Exploring
with the Triangle Magnet Tiles
October 16, 2012
The project that I have been working
with the children has been building 3D or flat structures with the triangle
magnet tiles. I noticed the children’s main focus would be using the square
magnet tiles to build. The children often argued with who had the most magnet
tiles, occurring throughout the play. The children consistently used the
squares and did not use the triangles when offered. To challenge their thinking
I have only provided the children with the triangle magnet tiles to explore and
have had them explore with only the tall triangle magnet tiles to see how they
will communicate with each other when faced with conflict.
The 1st experience when working with the
children was exploring with the only the triangle magnet tiles. The children
worked to create different shapes, building tall or flat structures with the
materials. During the lesson a couple of the children built their structures
tall with only using the small
triangle magnet tiles, or they would use both
the tall and small triangles. One of the children used all of the triangle
magnet tiles and created a flat structure.
The 2nd experience with
working with the children was exploring with only the tall triangle magnet tiles instead of having them explore with
small ones. The objective was to see how and what they could build only using
the tall triangles. I noticed it was difficult for one child who was getting
frustrated with his structure because he had the idea it just wasn’t staying up
for him. He insisted on trying again until he was successful. I noticed one
child used the tall triangle magnet tiles by creating one flat base and adding tall
pieces. It was neat to see how they could build it either way. Plus, I noticed they
were putting the pieces together like a pizza puzzle.
To further my exploration, I would like
the children to explore with the tangrams—different wooden shapes with each
shape having their own color. I would also explore with the IDA clips—plastic
snowflake pieces that clip together-- because of how the children were putting
the pieces together flat.