Ms. Jennifer's Classroom Investigations
Animal Explorations
October 17, 2012
As I observed the
preschool children in Ms. Szymaszek’s class during the first few weeks of the
semester, I noticed that almost every morning the children were taking out the
magnatiles and plastic animals and playing with them in the block area. It was hard to determine the focus of their
play sessions with all of the distractions and other activities going on in the
block area, so I thoughtfully designed a lesson to reveal the topics that were
sparking curiosity in the children... I wanted the children to have a defined space to explore with minimal distractions so I chose the rug on the covered patio. I provided the children with only the magnatiles and animals in this space and documented their words and actions during play.
After analyzing my
documentation, I discovered that there were three distinct avenues of play
involving the materials provided. I went on to use these avenues as my three
threads to base my inquiry project upon. The first thread involved children
using the magnatiles for building purposes. These children constructed ice
cream machines, rocket ships, houses, and other interesting structures with the
magnatiles and chose to leave the animals out of their play. As these children
explained the details of their creations to their peers and to me, I was able
to see how elaborate their structures were. The second thread involved children
simply exploring the animals. These children chose to leave the magnatiles out
of their play and solely focus on the animals. There was a wide range of animal
play observed and the themes included: animal noises, animal families, animal
races, injured animals, and an obsession with fierce animals. The third thread
involved children using the magnatiles to build for the animals. These children built a zoo, a castle, houses,
and even jails for the animals and integrated animal play into their building
of purposeful structures.
In an
effort to follow the interests of the children while encouraging them to
explore meaningful materials, I have planned and implemented several lessons
involving the threads above.
- The children have been challenged to build upward/ tall using blocks, magnatiles, and cups.
- The children have built an animal shelter for their plastic animals using magnatiles and wood blocks.
- The children have participated in the Animal Actions song on three separate occasions during whole group where they move their bodies like animals and make animal noises. Recently, the children have partaken in a silent animal action as a means of focusing solely on the motion of animals.
- We have read the book A Trip to the Zoo by Karen Wallace, which gave children who had never visited the zoo and opportunity to learn about a zoo.
- We have done animal sneak peeks where the children were shown a small part of an animal and were encouraged to guess the hiding animal.
The exploration of animals and building materials does not
stop here! I have been thoughtfully planning lessons for the upcoming week that
will be both engaging and meaningful for the children. Later in the week, the children will be
exploring a large zoo map and we will also be reading What Can You Do With a Tail Like This? by Steve Jenkins and Robin
Page. My goal is to develop lessons that spark curiosity in the children while
helping the children to build skills that span the curriculum. In addition to
incorporating literacy into each lesson, I have been attempting to weave social
skills and peer collaboration into all aspects of the school day.
If you have any book suggestions that relate to building or
animals, I welcome you to share them with me!
Thank you for being supportive in your child’s learning experience.