Monday, October 29, 2012

Exploring With Baking and Cooking


Ms. Davis's Classroom Investigations

Exploring With Baking and Cooking
October 2012

 
During the course of the semester I have observed the children exploring with cooking in several areas such as the dramatic play area, the sand table and during outdoor time. On more than one occasion, I have recorded the children’s explorations with baking/cooking in the kitchen area and in the sand table, as they pretended to prepare cakes, cookies and/ or meals for myself, family, friends and love ones.  


The children were actively engaged in their exploration and made sure to apply their prior knowledge and awareness with cooking/baking by suggesting measurements for ingredients, which ingredients to include, and a time for their creation to be done.  Additionally, during outdoor time, the children compile everything from wood chips to twigs as a means of concocting a meal or a cake for a birthday celebration. 

 
 To challenge the children’s curiosity, I incorporated a Spork (a spoon/fork) into the sand table and recorded their responses as they tried to decipher what the contraption was. Some children were familiar with the object while others used the Spork to mix and stir their make-believe meal and/or dessert.  

After witnessing the children’s eagerness to explore with the components of baking/cooking I decided to use pumpkin scented play dough as a means of extending their exploration. This experience, which lasted over an hour on two occasions, captured the children’s interest and encouraged them to continue to explore with the baking aspect of the activity.  The pumpkin scent from the play dough along with the cookie cutter shaped like a person, proved to be a success.  Children infused the family component during cooking, referring to the members of their family or members which make up a family as a whole.   The students used rolling pins to flatten the play dough and made cookie replicas of moms, dads, babies, grandmothers and grandfathers. “Cookies!” shouted one student. “We have to put them in the oven” explained another. “I’m going to make the whole family and I’ll be done…Mom, Dad, Baby, Grandma and the Grandpa” rejoiced a different student.  

         To further my exploration, while enhancing the student’s knowledge and awareness on cooking/baking I would like for students to participate in making scented play dough.  Providing students with an opportunity to follow a recipe will capitalize on the children’s interest to combine ingredients to create a product.  Also, as a means of supporting the collaboration between school and home, I would like to incorporate some of the children’s favorite recipes into our exploration.  Therefore, parents please feel free to share! Family portraits are welcomed too