Monday, January 14, 2013

Look what I can do with the paper, I just crunched it like this


Ms. Szymaszek’s Investigations:
Look what I can do with the paper, I just crunched it like this
 January 14, 2013
During the week of January 14, the children began an exploration of folding and rolling paper. 
   The previous week, the children showed an interest in folding paper airplanes and folding paper to cut snowflakes.  To continue this exploration, the children were provided with paper for quilling—thinly cut paper strips that can be rolled to make flowers, insects, or other paper crafts.  The children worked to fold and roll the paper in new ways.  “I’m going to make the flower, this is the pretty part and here is the long leg part.”  The children curled the paper around their fingers, then squished the paper flat to make different parts of a flower. 


 Jacqueline and Ms. Sam worked to roll the paper into a small, curled figure.  They talked about rolling the paper into a ball, and the colors they would need.

 Dillon watched as Ms. Amy curled the paper to make a flower.  She talked about how she rolled the paper around her finger, and then pulled her finger out of the middle.  Dillon replicated this motion, and looked through to show where his finger was when he curled the paper.

 
  Once Dillon figured out how to roll the paper, he decided he was going to make his own flower. After watching Ms. Amy curl the paper and talk about the parts of her flower, Dillon created his own.  He curled two "pretty purple parts" and then added a strip of black paper "for the long leg part."