Ms. Jennifer’s Investigations:
This particular group of children
continues to demonstrate a deep-rooted interest in animals and building for
animals. Last week, the children were given the opportunity to explore the
large zoo map and construct a zoo with blocks using the map as a reference. This week, I wanted to incorporate drawing as a means of representation and peer-teaching
into my curriculum plans so I chose to create lessons that built upon these
skills and also related to animals.
On Monday, October 29, I provided the
children with the large zoo map, card stock paper, sharpie markers, and a
colorful assortment of washable markers. With these materials at hand, I encouraged
the children to draw their very own zoo maps. The children took their time as
they thoughtfully represented their ideas of a zoo on paper. Animals, water,
gates, cages, and visiting people were common features drawn on these maps. I documented the children’s descriptive words
as they explained to me and their peers what it was that they were drawing.
On Friday, November 2, the maps drawn by the children were showcased at group time. The children proudly shared their drawings with their classmates and I facilitated a short question and answer session for the map-makers and their audience. I have several ideas in mind for lessons to spark creativity and thought in regard to animals. Next week, we will be taking a look at some animal close-ups and building animal structures using different materials.
