Ms. Salam’s Investigations:
Exploring Pre-Writing and Reading Skills with Lines and Curves in Play
As I observed throughout the course of the semester,
the children explored using lines in several, ways,
such as curved lines in tape and rolling play dough to make lines, curves and shapes.
The children first showed an interest in using tape to fix a toy car. I noticed that in January, the children showed an interest in using tape as a medium for creating art, often asking “Can we use the tape?” I designed a lesson using tape to reveal the topics that were sparking curiosity in the children.
The children first showed an interest in using tape to fix a toy car. I noticed that in January, the children showed an interest in using tape as a medium for creating art, often asking “Can we use the tape?” I designed a lesson using tape to reveal the topics that were sparking curiosity in the children.
The first activity was exploring with only the
colored tape and window board. The objectives was to see how the children would
explore using the colored tape. I wanted the children to use the tape with
their hands to make lines and shapes on the window board. The children were
actively engage in their exploration and made lines at first, and progressed to
working on how to make curves, and cut small pieces of tape to create and
illusion of a curved shape.
During the second
activity we explored the colored tape again; but this time. I added Crayola
markers to use on the window board. I
also included alphabet flash cards because I noticed when exploring with the
colored tape, the children were curving tape to make letters. The objective of this
activity was to explore how to create letters using tape and markers.
To challenge the children’s curiosity, I planned several
activities involving curves and lines, including floam and water color
explorations. During both activities, I recorded the children’s explorations
while designing lines. While rolling the floam with their hands they created
lines and shapes.
The exploration of curved lines and making letters
does not stop here! My next exploration
will include using shaving cream and revolving easel for the children to
continue discovering how lines and curves can create letters in their first
names. The purpose of these activities is to build on the knowledge gained from
creating lines in curve with the colored tapes and markers.
In addition to enhance the children language and
literacy march is reading month. Parents are invited to come and read to
children. To sign up, look for the clipboard near the sign-in sheet. Feel free to bring a book to share at group time, around 10:30 or 3:30 every day. We look forward to sharing a story with you.



