Thursday, March 7, 2013

I See, I Explore, I Think, I Create


Ms. Pat’s Investigations:
I See, I Explore, I Think, I Create
March, 2013
  The children have been very engaged in building and   creating structures using magnatiles. They were creating buildings that could be used by people and animals. They appeared to be so engaged that I wondered if it is the fact that the magnatiles are easily connected or they simply have a   desire to build.

In an effort to find out where the real interest of the children was I chose to change the material for manipulation and exploration purposes. The time spent exploring the materials, the conversations that are initiated and the actual manipulation of the different materials will be an   indicator of their desire to construct.
 The journey began with magnatiles, specifically, triangle magnatiles, on January 7, 2013. I noticed that they would spend an enormous amount of time building with this material. Some of the children would spend thirty minutes creating items such as: a Batman, home, rocket ships, and castles. I became interested to find out if the children were really into building or was it the magnatiles capability to easily connect their focus.


I decided to change the material once again to evoke conversation, strengthen fine motor skills and logical  reasoning. These materials are not easily bendable and require thought to connect to create a specific item. The material that I introduced this time was straw builders made of hard plastic with connector units. The children once again showed interest in the materials and talked about what they were making, such as swings, cubes and windows. One child did say that he made wind things. I was curious to know if they would ever say that it was hard to use the straw connectors but talked about the difficulty of connecting the new materials. 

 
I became aware of the fact that the children were engaged in using their hands to make different things. Also building and creating items that can be used by others is a big part of their thought process. The materials for manipulation really haven’t mattered. What seems to be important is if they are able to put their thoughts into action to end up with something that can be used. Although I don’t feel the material matters, I plan to have the children continue to explore a variety of materials with different capabilities of being connected. This exploration strengthens their confidence in building without the magnatiles, enhances communication skills encourages creativity and increase small motor skills.